Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Manager, Underwriting will lead and direct the personal lines underwriting department and will be accountable for business results through overall management, profitability initiates, and growth of our business. The incumbent is responsible for identifying opportunities to deliver exceptional customer service with a view to solidifying Family’s presence within the BC market. The Manager provides guidance to direct reports in the execution of departmental business objectives.
Who We Are Looking For:
- You are a strategic thinker who is not afraid of getting your ‘hands dirty’ so that you can gain perspective and insight from your team and our partners.
- You have an in-depth understanding of property and auto insurance wordings and their application to manage risk, ideally you will have gained this experience in the B.C. market.
- You are at your best while providing leadership, direction and mentorship to both direct and non-direct reports, ensuring objectives are meet.
- You thrive in a dynamic, fast paced and deadline driven environment and enjoy the challenge of effectively managing multiple and varied projects.
- You are adaptable to a changing environment and successfully lead others through change.
- You are an excellent communication who is able to break down the ‘big picture’ to your team and stakeholders. You are adept at presenting information in an effective and persuasive manner.
- You promote and contribute to a positive work environment by encompassing our values.
Some of Your Responsibilities*:
- Working with internal and/or external stakeholders, develop and implement products, systems and strategies which ensure we grow profitability and operate effectively.
- Translate strategic objectives into detailed departmental tactical plans and drive implementation.
- Develop and execute underwriting action plans to achieve stated revenue, profitability, retention and manage work volumes.
- Manage the design and implementation of new processes and systems pertaining to the department.
- Ensure all departmental activities are carried out with adherence to internal and external governance.
- Oversee the underwriting of special or complex risks and the review of large loss reports.
- Manage partner relations and address any escalated issues.
- Help build a culture of high performance and sustained profitable growth by promoting and supporting an environment that encourages productivity, collaboration, team work and a high level of professionalism.
- Coach, support and advise your team on performance and personal development.
* A detailed job description will be sent to all qualifying candidates.
Your Skills & Experience:
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent combination of work experience and formal training which should ideally include CIP or FCIP. (Candidates without CIP must be able to demonstrate a commitment to obtaining the designation)
- 10+ years of personal lines underwriting experience with at least 5 years of leadership experience.
- Must have a Broker Level 2 License, or be willing to obtain the license within the first 30 days of employment.
- Understanding of the BC auto and property insurance market, customer and competition.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and collaborate with others to achieve results.
- Experience with the full life cycle of system change initiatives, both small and complex, is a definite asset.
- Solid leadership skills with the ability to coach, develop, mentor, motivate and retain staff.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), analytical, time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
What you will experience:
- An incredible team of smart, diverse, and supportive people to work with.
- Great benefits, ongoing education and competitive pay.
- Unexpected perks to keep things fun.
As one of BC's Top 100 Employers for 2018, we strive to be a provider or choice for insurance brokers and an employer of choice in our industry.
If this sounds like the right role for you, please apply now. Don’t forget to submit a cover letter telling us a little about why you are applying and your resume. We will follow up with you if we think you may be a fit for the role.