Wawanesa Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,000 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders, who are our owners. As an employer, we provide an environment that is respectful, challenging and rewarding. As a corporate citizen, we actively give back to organizations that strengthen communities where we operate, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
Under general guidance of the Director, Internal Audit, the Manager, Operational Audits – Claims is responsible for leading the planning, execution and reporting of operational, consulting, and regulatory compliance reviews of Executive Office claim functions and regional claim operations to assess the adequacy of internal controls, the overall effectiveness of operations, and to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Provides leadership, mentorship and development to the claims operational audit team.
- Manages and conducts complex and detailed audits of Executive Office claim functions.
- Manages and conducts comprehensive audits of regional claim operations and privacy areas.
- Manages and oversees the work of the claims operational audit team and other audit staff assigned to assist with claims related operational, consulting, and regulatory compliance reviews.
- Manages a team of audit professionals inclusive of hiring, training and evaluating direct reports.
- Plans, prioritizes and manages audit projects efficiently and adapts to address resource challenges.
- Develops, evaluates, reviews, and recommends audit procedures and standards.
- Performs complex audit procedures and approves final electronic work papers.
- Identifies and documents complex issues and develops recommendations using independent judgement.
- Communicates the results of audits using written reports and oral presentations to senior management.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with the claims senior leadership team and other key internal clients and stakeholders.
- Provides key input into the annual risk assessment process and development of the annual audit plan.
- Manages and conducts special reviews of operational claim areas on an ad-hoc basis.
- Pursues professional development and identifies development opportunities for operational audit team.
- Leads Internal Audit representation on project teams and at management meetings.
- Performs or delegates other duties as assigned by the Director, Internal Audit.
- 10+ years Property & Casualty claims experience, including 3+ years of people management experience.
- Chartered Insurance Professional designation or equivalent Property & Casualty industry designation.
- Post-secondary degree/diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to travel as required throughout the year to locations within Canada and the United States.
- Excellent leadership skills, including the ability to develop motivated and effective teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare clear and concise audit reports with a tone and style fitting for the audience and message.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to manage and execute multiple projects within required timelines and expectations.
- Strong negotiation skills, including the ability to obtain management buy-in for audit recommendations.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with latitude for initiative and judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to work with highly sensitive and confidential information.
Wawanesa provides its employees with an environment conducive to achieving their goals for personal performance and career development. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, profit sharing, benefits and a defined benefit pension plan). The benefit package is comprehensive and far ranging. Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, please apply online at www.wawanesa.com.