Are you able to build rapport quickly? Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit? Do you enjoy being accountable for generating profitable new business within a defined territory? If you are, then Economical Insurance has an exciting opportunity for you!
We currently have an opening for a talented, experienced Regional Underwriter (propert) to join our team. In this role, you would be accountable for high quality underwriting of complex fleet and garage accounts in accordance with Company underwriting guidelines and your level of underwriting authority as assigned.
This role reports to the Manager, Commercial Insurance, and contributes to the Regional Underwriting Operations team by assessing, accepting, and declining new business submissions.
Who we are:
Economical Insurance is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies, but there’s really much more to us than that. Since our beginnings in 1871, we’ve been an organization that has imagined bigger and better things, inspiring us to take chances and think innovatively. Our employees are the reason we’ve come as far as we have, and the reason we’ll go much further still. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together.
Who we’re looking for:
- You’re professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, with both customers and co-workers
- You perform well in a busy environment and remains calm under pressure
- You’re a team player that is adaptable to a changing environment
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
- You have strong problem solving abilities
- You have well developed analytical skills, honed through years in commercial underwriting.
- You can weigh many complex factors to ultimately make quick decisions, and explain your rationale
- Your work ethic drives you to take on large challenges and see them through to completion
- You collaborate well will others, sharing your ideas, and listening to and integrating those of others
- You’ll assess, accept, and decline new business submissions
- You’ll be responsible for re-underwriting and negotiating renewals, and policy endorsements
- You’ll negotiate the terms and conditions of risk acceptance with brokers in writing, by telephone, electronic mail or in person
- You’ll develop and maintain positive broker relations
- You’ll participate in production calls on brokerage offices, as required
- You’ll accompany brokers on field underwriting of accounts, as required
- You’ll provide technical support to brokers
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in any discipline or a 2 year diploma from a publicly recognized and funded college or a completed CIP designation
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Commercial Property underwriting
- CIP designation, or a commitment to completing the CIP is required
- Strong analytical skills; able to quickly interpret data, information, reports and come to a decision
- Strong customer service, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer literacy skills
- Ability to influence and effectively negotiate with stakeholders
What You’ll Experience:
- Working in a team of underwriters bringing together vast experience, and a multitude of perspectives
- Great benefits, ongoing education, and competitive pay
- A supportive team that will encourage your goals and career aspirations
- A culture of spirit, fun and enthusiasm
- A company that values the community, wellness and work life balance
HOW TO APPLY
Apply on our corporate careers website: https://www.economical.com/en/careers. To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.