Are you solution-focused? Do you enjoy the challenge of finding those solutions outside the box? Do you enjoy being part of a team that looks for an unmet customer/market need and then creates the product? Well, we’ve got the role for you!
We currently have an opening for a talented, experienced Commercial Underwriter (Property) to join our team. In this role, you would be accountable for high quality underwriting of complex property/liability accounts in accordance with company underwriting guidelines and your level of underwriting authority as assigned.
Reporting to the Team Leader, Specialty Lines, you will provide superior service contributing to the achievement of profitability and production goals of the department by assessing, accepting and declining new business and renewals across Canada.
Please note: This position can be based out of any of our offices across the country: Kitchener, Waterloo, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Halifax, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver
Who We Are:
Economical Insurance is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies, but there’s really much more to us than that. Since our beginnings in 1871, we’ve been an organization that has imagined bigger and better things, inspiring us to take chances and think innovatively.
Our employees are the reason we’ve come as far as we have, and the reason we’ll go much further still. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together.
Who We’re Looking for:
- You’re professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, whether with customers or co-workers
- You perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure
- You’re a team player adaptable to a changing environment
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
- You have strong problem solving abilities
- You have well developed analytical skills, honed through years in commercial underwriting
- You can weigh many complex factors to ultimately make quick decisions and explain your rationale
- Your work ethic drives you to take on large challenges and see them through to completion
- You collaborate well with others while sharing your ideas, listening to those of others and integrating them
- You’ll assess, accept and decline new business submissions
- You’ll be responsible for re-underwriting and negotiating renewals and policy endorsements
- You’ll negotiate the terms and conditions of risk acceptance with brokers in writing, by telephone, electronic mail or in person
- You’ll provide mentoring and referral support to Junior Underwriters in the branch
- You’ll develop and maintaining positive broker relations
- You’ll participate in production calls on brokerage offices as required.
- You’ll accompany brokers on field underwriting of accounts as required.
- You’ll provide technical support to brokers
Your Skills & Experience:
- University degree in any discipline or a 2-year diploma from a publicly recognized and funded college, or a completed CIP designation
- Minimum 3-5 years of commercial underwriting experience
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to quickly interpret data, information and reports
- Strong customer service, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to influence and effectively negotiate with stakeholders
- Fluency in French is an asset
- Knowledge of forestry, waste management, moving and storage operations is an asset
What You’ll Experience:
- An incredible team of smart, diverse and supportive people
- Great benefits, ongoing education and competitive pay
- A culture of spirit, fun and enthusiasm
- A company that values the community, wellness and work-life balance
HOW TO APPLY
Apply on our corporate careers website: https://www.economical.com/en/careers. To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.